Monday, April 2, 2012

Hello from Nicole Felton!


Hi Everyone,

As I write this most of the interns and social work students are packing and preparing for the trip back to the Midwest.  The student teachers have a couple more weeks before they come back to Wartburg.  I cannot believe it is time to say goodbye to Denver.
I have spent the semester doing my senior social work field practicum at the Bridge Project.  Bridge is an afterschool program and community outreach program that serves children living in public housing.  I work in the South Lincoln public housing section of Denver, which serves students age 3-18.  Bridge works to increase the graduation rate among low-income children in order to help reduce the cycle of poverty.
Every day I teach classes to help students progress in literacy skills, assist in teaching social, emotional, and behavioral skills, and provide family support.  I also help with getting the kids snack, doing homework, and being a resource to about 100 kids per day.  I work one-on-one with children who need a person to talk to and I help children work through emotional problems.  My time at the Bridge Project has increased my enjoyment of working with children and I plan to continue my work in this area after graduation.
My time in Denver has been busy.  I have been to the symphony, the Denver Zoo, the ballet Peter Pan, a Colorado Avalanche game, Red Rocks Amphitheater, The Taming of the Shrew, and the Celestial Seasonings Tea Factory.  I have spent time exploring downtown and experiencing several new restaurants.  The time I have spent in Denver has allowed me to embrace all the urban setting has to offer.  Coming from a small town, I struggled to understand how so many people could live in a small space, but after living here for a few months I see they do not live on top of each other.  The people actually work together to make the urban lifestyle vivacious and engaging.  My time in Denver has been an amazing chance to practice social work and indulge in living in the city.

Nicole Felton

No comments:

Post a Comment