Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Livin' in the Fast Lane - Kayla Holbach

Being a small town Iowa girl making the move to Denver, Colorado has been an incredible adjustment. Living in Denver is noisier, brighter, and I just can’t seem to take a breath of fresh air. However, the change has been very beneficial to me. I have been introduced to new things and situations both voluntarily and involuntarily, some for the better, some for the worse. One of my experiences that has been for the better is my internship at Metro State University.
As an intern at Metro State University, I have been working in the athletic department. I have been introduced to many different tasks, both working directly with the athletics and all the things that go on behind the scenes. A couple projects I have been working on directly is setting up halftime activities, promotional marketing, and scheduling the events. I have put together multiple games for fans to play to help increase audience participation at both soccer and volleyball events. So far, all the games I have put together have been a success with both sports. In the upcoming weeks, I will be getting involved with more of the games and working at the different events. Helping with set-up, working during the game, and organizing the halftime events are all tasks I will be dealing with.

Although Denver is not home, I have been able to make the adjustment fairly easy. It was easy to get to know the area and what you are able to accomplish within walking distance. One of the hardest things to get used to was having to pick up groceries and run errands by only walking.  However, I am pretty used to it now and walking 3 or more miles a day is a normal thing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment