Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Andrew Heckroth Shares His Summer Experiences in Denver




Today I begin the last week of my eight-week internship in the Western History/Genealogy (WHG) Department at the Denver Public Library. It is hard for me to believe that this experience is almost over. Since I have been in Colorado with the Wartburg West interns and faculty, I have had some of the greatest memories in college with this group.
               
I have worked on a variety of projects in the WHG Department, as well as in the Archives Department at the Denver Public Library. My favorite project that I just completed last week was to take inventory on a great amount of materials from the Denver Parks and Recreation Department. While I looked through this collection, I was able to discover many different unique artifacts. Many of these artifacts were development plans for the City Park pavilion and bandstand from the 1990’s. Although others may find archival work boring, I enjoy it. Archives allow me to research how an individual or, in this case, a department of the City of Denver reached their goals through their different plans or works.
               
Outside of my internship, I enjoyed going to the Rocky Mountains on more than one occasion. While I was in the Rocky Mountains, I saw of the most beautiful scenery ever in my life. I was also fortunate to go on a three mile hike at Rocky Mountain National Park with other Wartburg West friends. And the city of Denver had been unbelievable! As a huge baseball fan, I personally enjoy watching the Colorado Rockies baseball team at their stadium, Coors Field, with other Wartburg students. I have been to a total of four games, and the Rockies won them all!

I am so happy that I was able to be a part of Wartburg West. It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made since I have been at Wartburg College.     

No comments:

Post a Comment