Monday, March 14, 2016

Olivia Jansen Talks Healthy Habits in Denver




Since coming to Colorado, I’ve realized the culture here is very different. And no, I’m not talking about legal marijuana. I’m talking about the active lifestyle that most people living here choose to have. Not saying people in Iowa aren’t active or healthy, but people here seem to take it to another level.

On my first hike, I felt like I was getting a good workout just walking up the trail. I was amazed to find that people were running past us! And this wasn’t a flat trail. There were rocks, uneven ground and even some ice, but everyone just flew past us like it was nothing. When I visited Red Rocks with my family this past weekend, I was again surprised to see so many people working out on the steps. I knew people ran them but some people were doing squat jumps all the way up and even doing handstand pushups from the top step to the bottom.

And the parks here are always packed on a nice day. There’s people playing volleyball, tossing a Frisbee and the occasional group of people doing partner-yoga. It’s something that I don’t think is very common where I come from. On a nice day, I can’t say I’ve heard a lot of people suggest taking a trip to the park. But there’s two parts of a healthy lifestyle and a lot of people here seem to be dedicated to their nutrition too. There’s so many organic grocery stores here! Of course they’re in the Midwest too, but here there seem to be more concentrated in certain areas. Even in the normal grocery stores, each aisle has an organic section and they often have a healthy living section, with things like protein and quinoa.

Being surrounded by such dedicated people is kind of inspiring and makes you want to start living a little healthier, at least in my case. So no, it’s not the most obvious culture difference that people associate with Colorado. But I think it’s an equally important quality that makes the state of Colorado unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment