Friday, October 16, 2015

Madison Ehlert Shares Her Student Teaching Experience in Denver




There is nothing quite like being able to spend a semester in Denver, Colorado. I am pleased and happy with my decision to complete my student teaching out here. For my first seven weeks I was placed at Place Bridge Academy where I was student teaching in a Spanish classroom for both first and second grade. I wouldn’t have traded my experience for the world. One big lure that drew me out to Denver was being able to teacher a diverse population. I definitely got a chance to do that by completing part of my student teaching at Place Bridge Academy. At just this school alone over 80 languages were spoken, and for 93% of the students English is a second language. It was such an amazing experience to be able to work with students that were so different from each other but yet so alike at the same time.

Currently, I am completing the other seven weeks of my student teaching at Lincoln Elementary. This school has a completely different atmosphere than Place Bridge Academy. The majority of the students come from very affluent families, and are white. There is not nearly as many behavior issues at the school, and the students complete their assigned homework. I think it is such a great opportunity for me to be placed at two schools that are such polar opposites. I look forward to seeing what else is in store for me at Lincoln Elementary as my time continues there.

In addition to student teaching, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Denver. I believe I have taken advantage of the urban environment through a number of activities that I would not have been able to do if I were spending the semester back home at Wartburg. I look forward to doing as much as I can in my last six weeks in Denver to make the most of the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment