Monday, October 9, 2017

Kailee O'Brien: New Perspective through New Experiences

What is This World?

It has been a little over a month since I began my exploration of a city I did not know. But, I have discovered that this city would teach me more about myself than I anticipated. Growing up in a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa, I knew what city life was like, but to the extent of Denver, Colorado, I did not. I have a poster hung up in my room that says, “If you never leave, you’ll never find the road home”.

Because of numerous softball tournaments I participated in, I have traveled across the country with my family, going coast to coast just to play the best competition we could find. The biggest difference between traveling then and traveling now is, I am on my own. I am away from my family, my friends, my pets… everyone. The one thing I hold onto is the urge to travel.

Though it is hard being away from them, I am seeing the world through my own eyes. I am able to go up into the mountains, and breathe in the freshest air that God has given. I am able to see people that are completely different than they are from Iowa.

I have gained perspective. Whether it comes from different religious views, or simply the small acts that people do to make them happy, here in Denver, that scale is huge.

I recently went to a tattoo shop. I knew I wanted to get something that reminded me of Denver and the numerous adventures I have taken. The only thing that came to mind was traveling. In the smallest form, I now have on my arm “wanderlust,” which means a strong desire to travel.

While adventuring in Colorado, I had the opportunity to see one of my favorite bands, NEEDTOBREATHE at the Red Rocks Amphitheater. They have a song called “Keep Your Eyes Open,” and there is a line that says, “if you never leave home, never let go, you’ll never make it to the great unknown”.

Being completely wanderlust in a city that is full of opportunities, I have fully kept my eyes open. I have left home to a place I never knew I would fall in love with. I have traveled the unknown and, more importantly, I have discovered how to be a stronger person than I was before. Denver has challenged me and has given me a newer perspective on the world. It is an experience I would never take back.

No comments:

Post a Comment