Monday, January 29, 2018

Herbert Brown III: Internship Experience and the Colorado Scenery

I am currently interning at the St. Francis Center and it has been a perfect fit after the first couple of weeks. I am still learning a lot but I can also say that I have adjusted just fine in this short period. I am at two different sites during the week, and those are the day shelter and employment center. At the day shelter, I assist guests and clients with their mail, storage, and other needs they may have. At the employment center, I have been working with homeless people and people who are ex-offenders with job search, applications, and resumes. The guests and clients have responded to me in a positive manner and I am looking forward to working with them as they become self-sufficient and achieve stability. Interning at St. Francis Center has made me more appreciative of the blessings that I have received. I think that is why I want to potentially work with homeless people after college. I believe that the goal is to help people reach that stability that has eluded them for periods of time.

I was born and raised on the west side of Chicago, and you would think that the city life is almost the same no matter what. Denver is probably one of the more unique places to live and that is because of the scenery. I was here back in 2015 for my beginning field placement during May term. I was nervous because I was in a new place and I was alone. This was the farthest that I had been away from home. Once I got moved in and adjusted to my apartment, I decided to walk around to get a feel for the area. Immediately, I fell in love with the city and it was because of the mountains in the distance. I was in awe simply because I had never seen them in person. I told myself that I would be back soon and I was going to go up to Rocky Mountains. I would be able to achieve that goal when my classmates and I traveled to Leadville. This was one of the rare occurrences where I felt like a tourist because of the sight-seeing that I did while I was there. Being up in the mountains allowed me to feel at peace and do some self-reflection. The best part about being there is the silence, with the exception of the sounds of nature. It is definitely the setting for clearing your head, making a huge life decision, or simply being more in tune with a spiritual being. Going up there made me appreciate the Wartburg West program even more than before. I probably wouldn’t have had this experience this early in my life without Wartburg West. I plan to go back up to the mountains soon and I might even climb one. Coming back to Denver has helped me become more open minded in terms of doing things outside of my comfort zone. After spending time in the Rocky Mountains, my interest in nature related activities have increased. I want to be able to create memories here that cannot be replicated elsewhere and that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment