Thursday, March 22, 2018

Caroline Madsen: Relationship Building is the Key to Success

Growing up in the Twin Cities, I was used to the hustle and bustle of a city. Going to Wartburg in Waverly was definitely a change of pace for me and I loved every minute of it. Even though I love the pace of Waverly, I have always been drawn to Wartburg West. I first came out here as a freshman in human relations. I spent a week in a classroom at Lincoln Elementary and enjoyed every minute of it. After having a great experience out here I was always thinking about a way I could come back. When I found out that I could student teach out here, I jumped at the chance. I love Denver and all of the unique experiences it has brought me.

My name is Caroline Madsen, and I am a fourth-year elementary education major with endorsements in K-8 math and K-8 science. I am currently at Place Bridge Academy in a sixth-grade science classroom. I just recently finished my first seven weeks at Steele Elementary in a second-grade classroom.

One of the best lessons I have learned while out here is that positive connections with other people help you succeed. When you cultivate good relationships with the people you work with, they will do everything in their power to help you succeed. I have had a unique experience out here in Denver because I sprained my ankle three weeks into my first placement. What this meant for me was that teaching was going to be a lot harder and there were going to be some extra hurdles for me to overcome. I fully believe the relationships I developed with my teacher and the other people at Steele Elementary is one of the main reasons I succeeded, especially right after my injury. They took time out of their day to make sure I had the tools I needed to succeed. On top of that I knew I wasn’t alone. They would always come to check in on me and offer all of the support I needed. Luckily enough I am now out of my boot and I plan to continue to create positive relationships with the mentors I work with. Although my time here at Wartburg West has been short, I know that Denver will always have a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment