Monday, March 12, 2018

Peri Benna: The Art of Denver

I am out here in Denver for student teaching, and my first placement was for K-5 Art. I soon realized how involved the school was in the art program, which was so unusual for me to experience. Usually, art is brushed to the side and is the first thing to be cut in budget meetings. Here, art and culture are very much appreciated.

Around the city, there is art everywhere. There is the art museum, which is in walking distance from the apartments. That museum is a must-go; it is truly one of a kind! Another bonus is that on the first Saturday of every month the museum has free admission. Also, on the first Friday of every month, it’s First Friday at the Sante Fe art district. At this district all the galleries open their doors and have an open house. There’s tons of food, drinks, art and much more! I went last month and was blown away at the talent. The art was amazing and the cool part is that you can talk to the artist because they are there. I went to this one shop that was primarily candles. I bought a few things and found out that they offered classes on candle making. There is also another art district, the design district. I haven’t been to this one yet, but I’ve heard that it is full of awesome stuff and has murals on all the buildings.

Being an art education major, I think this culture and environment is refreshing and eye opening. There are tons of things to see and do here. I am just getting started!

No comments:

Post a Comment