Friday, March 16, 2018

Michael Hegelheimer: Independence and Meeting Community Members

During my time in Denver, I have been interning with OptiMiser Energy, an energy auditing software company, as a remote software development intern for 24 hours a week. My primary role has been continuing the development of the OptiMiser sponsored certification system which verifies competency in the use of OptiMiser residential auditing software to generate accurate energy models and measure specifications. Outside of my internship, I split my time taking two classes, staying on top of my soccer offseason program and exploring Denver when I can find the time. My classes involve interviewing community leaders who are working to influence either activism or sustainability issues in the Denver Metro area and participating in the community through different organizations.

Examples of people that I’ve been fortunate enough to meet in the sustainability space include Jerry Tinianow, Denver’s Chief Sustainability Officer, Janet Burgesser, the program manager of Certifiably Green Denver and Dan Raine, a senior city planner with Denver Public Works. With regards to the community organizing space, I’ve had the pleasure of learning about activism and advocacy in the Denver metro area from Kamau Allen, a Community Organizer at Together Colorado, Jordan Garcia, the Immigrant Ally Organizing Director for Coloradans For Immigrant Rights a subsection of American Friends Service Committee and Peter Severson, the director of the Lutheran Advocacy Ministry Colorado, a subsection of the ELCA.

My decision to apply for the Wartburg West program came about due to numerous positive recommendations I had received from previous program participants and me wanting to try something outside of my comfort zone. I’m glad to say that I’ve definitely grown as a person during my time in Denver on top of having made valuable connections with both community members and other students. I most definitely recommend this program to any Wartburg student looking to challenge themselves and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment